About the Job:
We are looking for a detail-oriented, hungry to grow and quick to learn operational junior talent to join our accounting team as a Staff Accountant. The ideal candidate has at least 1 year of accounting experience and deep understanding of GAAP. As a staff accountant, you will have exposure to multiple key general accounting functions with heavy concentration on liabilities/expense related accounts.
What you’ll do:
Personnel Expenses/Employee Payable
- Prepare personnel related entries and calculation (payroll, bonuses, commissions).
- Review and process payroll and contractor payments through our PEO company.
- Assist with 401(k) processing and management.
- Collect, review and book T&E reimbursements requests in alignment with the company policy.
- Assist in improving the migration to new T&E software and implementation of new process.
- Assist in booking other personnel related expenses to complete month-end processes.
Vendor Expenses/ Accounts Payable
- Review, classify and record payable invoices (vendors, contractors) and record subsequent payments.
- Prepare weekly vendor payment run schedule for review and process approved payouts.
- Book and track prepaid assets and its amortization.
- Assist with vendor contract management to ensure expenses are aligned with budget and forecast.
- Assist in annual 1099 filings
Credit Card Payable
- Record and reconcile corporate credit card charges.
- Assist in improving the current credit card reconciliation process and migrating to a new credit card software.
General Accounting and Responsibilities
- Build, maintain and reconcile internal schedules such as prepaids, accruals and asset depreciation.
- Perform contract review and approval for direct sales and other major accounts.
- Send out customer billing and assist with responding to billing inquiries, book lockbox payments and other related cash entries.
- Support other accounting and finance department deliverables such as annual audits and tax filing.
- Complete other ad-hoc projects as needed
What you'll bring:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
- CPA or CPA Track (not required but preferred)
- Extremely strong excel skills
- Experience with tools such as Tableau or Power BI (not required, but preferred)
- Strong understanding of GAAP and the accounting cycle
- 1-2 years of accounting experience, preferably with exposure to month-end close processes
- Equally strong excel skills and, written and verbal communication skills
- Massive attention to detail with extreme follow-through
- Excitement to learn, roll-up the sleeves and prioritize in a fast-paced environment
What you’ll love about us:
- We are a team composed of hard-working but fun loving people. "Patchy" as we often describe ourselves - you'll have the opportunity to join and work with a deeply committed, tightly-knit and talented team of news editors, technologists, salespeople and product managers working tirelessly toward our core mission of strengthening communities.
- We identify, grow, and promote talent. The right candidate for this role can expand exposure to other operational functions and experience major career and professional development.
- We offer competitive health insurance plans with HSA/ FSA eligible options, commuter benefits, and monthly reimbursements for qualified expenses to our full-time employees.