Background Investigations Coordinator, Human Resources
NYC Health + Hospitals is the largest public health care system in the United States. We provide essential outpatient, inpatient and home-based services to more than one million New Yorkers every year across the city’s five boroughs. Our large health system consists of ambulatory centers, acute care centers, post-acute care/long-term care, rehabilitation programs, Home Care, and Correctional Health Services. Our diverse workforce is uniquely focused on empowering New Yorkers, without exception, to live the healthiest life possible.
Under supervision of a Sr. Talent Acquisition Partner and/or a HR/TA Lead, the Background Investigation Coordinator will be responsible for assisting with the HR Operations related to confidential background investigations and other related HR functions. These positions will be assigned to different locations throughout NYC.
General tasks and responsibilities will include:
• Partnering with Onboarding Specialists to perform all required background checks during the onboarding of new hires, transfers, civil service processing, and other HR actions
• Immediately initiating various background checks, including and not limited to:
- Excluded provider checks (SAM, OMIG, OIG, OFAC) using all name combinations
- Criminal History Checks using all name combinations
- 3rd Party Verifications for education, employment and license checks
- License verification websites (e.g. Dept of Buildings)
- Other background checks as needed
• Submitting completed NYC Department of Investigation (DOI) packages securely to DOI upon receipt where applicable
• Reviewing fingerprint results immediately upon fingerprinting candidates; follow up with manager as needed and compare with conviction record information provided
• Flagging any inconsistencies or concerns revealed as part of background check; discuss immediately with Onboarding Specialist
• Reviewing all background documents for completeness and or any potential concerns.
• Indicating HR background clearance on HR Onboarding Checklist once all background checks are cleared in order for Onboarding Specialist to issue final offer letter
• Working with Onboarding Specialist on follow-up with candidates due to background check delays, including obtaining additional documentation in the event 3rd party verifications are incomplete by the vendor
• In the absence of others, may assist in following-up with potential candidates regarding document submission and field/direct any HR related questions.
• Ensuring tasks are completed accurately and timely; may perform transactional work in the absence of others
• Updating PeopleSoft Security (background), Citizenship, person profile information and other information as needed
• Supporting other HR staff
• Ensuring all relevant HR practices, training and policies are being followed
• Maintaining accuracy and integrity of PeopleSoft (HR system of record for employee data); ensuring all personnel and background files are maintained including via OnBase system.
• Partnering with Compliance Specialist to upload all background check document into Onbase
• Partnering with Compliance as needed to review nepotism matters and other compliance issues discovered during onboarding and background review
• Ensuring all background checks are done following standard work and policy; including obtaining all relevant clearances as part of background investigation process.
• Providing reports on the status of background checks for candidates
• Assisting with filing of personnel related documents
• Performing other related confidential duties as assigned
1. A Baccalaureate Degree in a relevant field from an accredited college or university; or,
2. Graduation from a senior high school and four years of satisfactory semi-professional or technical experience in personnel operations; or,
3. A satisfactory equivalent combination of education, training and experience.