Estimator/Project Manager - The Shelly Company - Findlay, OH
Safety-minded, motivated, and high energy Estimator/Project Manager to perform primary responsibilities of accurate cost estimates, Project management functions, and assist in forecasting and construction reporting. This position will also require supporting operations, and contract administration.
Key Responsibilities (Essential Duties and Functions)
The duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Identifies labor, material, and time requirements by studying proposals, construction plans, specifications, and related documents. Visits project sites when necessary.
- Obtains bids from vendors and subcontractors by specifying materials, identifying qualified subcontractors, and negotiating prices.
- Computes cost factors and prepares estimates. Coordinates estimates with field superintendents.
- Calculate and analyze costs to ensure all DBE/Edge requirements are met.
- Copy and submit bid/quote on time either in person, by fax, or electronically (EBS/ODOT).
- Review contract agreements and assists with plan preparation and estimates. Negotiates and prepares change orders as necessary.
- Conducts special studies to develop and establish standard hour and related cost data or effect cost reductions.
- Consults with clients, vendors, or other individuals to discuss and formulate estimates and resolve issues.
- Roll up and condense bid details in HCSS, export and send file to PA assigned for project download in Viewpoint.
- Ability to analyze bid statistics and various work types on competitors in an effort to sustain Gold standards on Margin left on Table and other OPS metrics.
- Write correspondence letters, compile submittal information, review shop drawings, mix designs, and all other necessary documents so that the project can begin and function properly.
- Assist the Construction Scheduler in preparing Primavera schedule.
- Notify subcontractors and suppliers of anticipated start and delivery needs.
- Schedule Pre-job meeting and progress meetings both internally and with owner.
- Assist and support Area Operations and Foremen as needed.
- Review job quantities, approve invoices, subcontractor payments, prepare extra work change orders and monitor job cost.
- Maintain and analyze monthly cost projections using a % complete method and report projections to Area Management monthly.
- Review, tabulate, and negotiate final quantity agreements with owner and/or Prime contractor to ensure 100% payment for all work performed.
- Review monthly account receivables and cash aging reports.
- Responsible for project yields (pipe, bedding, backfill, dirt, stone, and asphalt).
- Performs other job related responsibilities and special projects as requested.
- Display a professional and courteous attitude to co-workers, supervisors, and the general public at all times.
- Must be willing to travel and work away from home when required.
- Must be willing to work nights and weekends when necessary.
- Report to the assigned job site ready to begin work at the designated start time.
- Strict adherence to safety requirements and procedures as outlined in the Manual of Safety Practices and Procedures.
- Strict adherence to Shelly Company policies and procedures as outlined in the Company Book of Policies.
- Willingness to work in a team environment and assist co-workers or supervisors with other duties as required.
- Timely and regular attendance is an expectation of performance for all Shelly Company employees. Employees will be held accountable for adhering to their workplace schedule.
- Stay involved in OCA, ODOT, and Community functions. Attend training and safety classes as necessary.
- Entertaining and customer/client interaction to ensure strategic market objectives within the means of the budget.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Candidate must have a good skill set on the following competencies: Drives for Results, Collaboration, and Developing Talent.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent from a four-year college or technical school; or three to five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Proficient with Windows, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively to customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to climb or balance. The employee is occasionally required to sit and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must regularly lift and/or move more than 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works near moving mechanical parts and in outside weather conditions and is regularly exposed to wet, humid condition airborne particles, and extreme heat or cold. The employee is occasionally exposed to vibration. The noise level in the work environment is occasionally loud and may require protective equipment.